In the US, many people visit doctors for psychological and mood problems each year. And just like many physical ailments, these types of disorders are usually highly treatable.
What Kind of Therapy Should You Seek?
There are two primary types of therapy: medication and talk.
Treatment typically involves working with a healthcare provider who manages the medication. Medication therapy is often used along with talk therapy.
Talk therapies, also known as counseling or psychotherapy, treat psychological or emotional problems through verbal communication. Although they are based on psychological theories, talk therapies also fulfill a very basic human need to share problems and connect with others.
Some types of counseling may be better suited to your particular issues, as well as your personality, time, and budget. Listed below are some of the most common types; however, keep in mind that most therapists tend to use a combination of one or more approaches.
- Description—Developed by Sigmund Freud in the 1900s, psychoanalysis focuses on identifying repressed feelings and issues that influence current behavior. The process is complex and lengthy, so it requires a definite commitment.
- Recommended for—Psychoanalysis may be helpful if you are struggling with challenges that have lasted a long time, such as repeated career or relationship difficulties, depression, or anxiety.
- Description—Psychodynamic therapy focuses on gaining insight by using techniques that help you reflect on your life, character traits, thoughts, and behaviors.
- Recommended for—This type of therapy may be helpful for anxiety disorders, depression, relationship problems, stressful life situations, issues surrounding sexual identity, and other challenges.
- Description—This therapy focuses on the interactions of a unit or system rather than individual members. This approach is based on the idea that the problems of an individual must be understood in the context of a larger system.
- Recommended for—With the focus on relationships, many people can benefit from this type of therapy, including couples, families, children, and teens. A range of conditions can be addressed, including mood disorders, behavior and emotional disorders in children, substance abuse, and domestic violence.
- Description—During this type of therapy, a small number of people work together with a group therapist. The goal is to move toward self-understanding and self-acceptance, as well as to improve interpersonal relationships.
- Recommended for—Group therapy may be helpful for many people, including those who are facing relationship problems, dealing with depression or anxiety, experiencing loss or trauma, or trying to recover from alcohol or drug addiction..
How Do You Find a Qualified Mental Health Provider?
There are many options to find a qualified provider, such as:
- Contacting your health insurance company to find out which providers are affiliated with your plan
- Getting a referral from your primary care doctor
- Asking family members and friends if they can recommend someone
- Researching online—Some professional organizations, like the American Psychological Association , provide a database to locate providers in your area.
What should you expect when you go to your appointment? During the first session, therapists should be able to:
- Answer questions about their credentials and qualifications, as well as areas of expertise
- Explain the purposes, goals, techniques, procedures, limitations, and potential risks and benefits associated with therapy
- Talk to you about matters of confidentiality, privacy, and disclosure of information
- Discuss financial arrangements prior to beginning the counseling relationship
In some cases, finding the right therapist takes time. You should feel comfortable with the therapist and feel that the person understands you. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide if you would like to work with this therapist or continue looking for someone who is a better fit for you.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 03/2014 -
- Update Date: 03/12/2014 -