- Direct skin to skin contact with an infected person
- Shared items, such as towels or wrestling mats
- One part of a person's body to another area
- Weakened immune system, especially in people with AIDS or HIV
- Poor hygiene
- Overcrowded conditions
- Sexual contact
- Having other skin conditions, such as atopic dermatitis
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Small, dome-shaped bumps with dimpling in center
- Painless, but may be itchy or tender
- Appear translucent, pearly or flesh-colored at first then may turn gray and drain
- White or waxy substance in center of lesion
- Usually multiple lesions in groups
- Face, trunk, arms, and legs are common sites in children
- Genitals, abdomen, and inner thigh are common sites in adults
- Can last from several weeks to several years
- Laser surgery
- Topical therapy
American Academy of Dermatology http://www/aad.org
American Social Health Association http://www.ashastd.org
Canadian Dermatology Association http://www.dermatology.ca
Public Health Agency of Canada http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca
American Academy of Dermatology. Molluscum contagiosum. American Academy of Dermatology website. Available at: http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/m---p/molloscum-contagiosum. Accessed May 29 2013.
Dohil MA, Lin P, et al. The epidemiology of molluscum contagiosum in children. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006;54(1):47-54.
Hanson D. Diven DG. Molluscum contagiosum. Dermatology Online J. 2003;9(2):2.
Molluscum contagiosum. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated April 24, 2012. Accessed May 29, 2013.
Molluscum contagiosum: questions & answers. American Social Health Association website. Available at: http://www.ashastd.org/std-sti/molluscum-contagiosum.html. Accessed May 29, 2013.
Stulberg DL, Hutchinson AG. Molluscum contagiosum and warts. Am Fam Physician. 2003;67(6):1233-1240.
Theos AU, Cummins R, et al. Effectiveness of imiquimod cream 5% for treating childhood molluscum contagiosum in a double-blind, randomized pilot trial. Cutis. 2004;74(2):134-138,141-142.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 05/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -